This lesson is about slave resistance. For this assignment, you are to do two projects. Each one is 40 points.
First, you are to select a negro spiritual from pre-Civil War. You are to write an essay explaining how this song had a double meaning. To score well, you must explain specific verses. When you turn this one in, you are required to attach a copy of the spiritual to make my life a little easier. I will not accept plagarized work.
Second, you are to make a wanted poster. This can be for either a run-away slave or slaves involved in a insurrection. Make sure you include the types of information which would found in a poster of the time period.
Final word - You will need to find some sources outside of those I have provided to do the this assignment. Also, I hope you find these both interesting and challenging.
Essential Question - How did slaves engage in slave resistance?
1. Students will learn various types of slave resistance.
2. Students will learn the role and meaning of Negro spirituals.
1. NAT TURNER REBELLION - Note the primary sources discussed at the bottom of this page.
2. VESEY CONSPIRACY - This struck fear in the south.
3. FREDERICK DOUGLASS - Part of his speech on revolt.
4. NEGRO SPIRITUALS - This site will provide information about the hidden meanings found in
Pre-Civil War negro spirituals.