Assignment 1 - Read Pages 453 - 462
BULL RUN ENDS THE NINETY-DAY WAR
1. What is meant by the term “ninety-day war”?
2. What are the consequences of the First Battle of Bull Run?
TARDY GEORGE McCLELLAN
3. McClellan is a mixed bag. Why can be viewed as a good and bad commander?
4. What are the consequences of the Peninsular Campaign?
5. Outline the war plan which is developed by the North. (Page 457) (It is called the Anaconda Plan.)
WAR AT SEA
6. What simplifies the Union blockade?
7 Why does Great Britian recognize the Union blockade?
8. What is the doctrine of “ultimate destination”?
9. What is the technological advance demonstrated in the battle between the Monitor
PIVOTAL POINT: ANTIETAM
10. Why does Lee decide to invade Maryland ?
11. What about the Confederate army will make the people of Maryland have doubts
about joining the south?
12. Why do the authors maintain Antietam is so important?
13. Why did Lincoln wait until Antietam to announce the Emancipation Proclamation?
14. How does Emancipation Proclamation change the reasons for the Civil War?
PROCLAMATION WITHOUT EMANCIPATION
15. Why do the authors call it “a proclamation without emancipation”?
16. What are the consequences of the Emancipation Proclamation?
Assignment 2 – Read Pages 462 – 469
BLACKS BATTLE BONDAGE
1. Blacks account for what percentage of the Union army?
2. What happened to black Union soldiers when they were captured?
3. Why doesn’t the South want to use blacks as soldiers?
4. Why do the authors say slaves were the “stomach of the South”?
5. How do slaves hinder the South’s war effort?
LEE’S LAST LUNGE AT GETTYSBURG
6. Why does Lee decide to invade the north?
7. Why is Pickett’s charged called the “high tide of the Confederacy”?
8. What important speech does Lincoln make at Gettysburg?
WAR IN THE WEST
9. What was the importance of Grant’s victories in Tennessee?
10. Why does Lincoln consider Grant so important as a general?
11. Why is Vicksburg so important to the South?
12. What the consequences of the twin victories of Gettysburg and Vicksburg ?
SHERMAN SCORCHES GEORGIA
13. What does Sherman do to Georgia ?
14. What is total war?
15. Why does the Union army do more destruction in South Carolina ?